Marketing is an ever-evolving field that demands continuous education and adaptation for professionals in this industry. Marketers must remain current on new technologies, tactics and consumer behaviors in their field.
Reading books written by industry experts is one of the best ways to develop new skills and keep up with changes in the field. Here are the top 10 marketing books for entrepreneurs to read in 2023:
Building a Storybrand by Donald Miller
Donald Miller’s Building a Storybrand shows readers how to utilize storytelling elements effectively for customer connection and company worth demonstration. This best-selling book provides seven universal tales to which all humans can relate, as well as a framework for using this technique for marketing and branding purposes.
- The importance of storytelling in marketing and branding
- Using a clear “hero, villain, guide” framework
- Connecting with customers through shared struggles and solutions
This is Smart Marketing by Paul Avins and Richard Wilson
Avins and Wilson offer unmatched expertise when it comes to marketing fundamentals. With decades of experience under their belts, these consultants offer up-to-the-minute guidance. This book presents effective strategies for conducting marketing research, segmentation, branding, positioning for competition and price/distribution/promotion in today’s technological landscape.
Key topics covered:
- Actionable tips for marketing strategy and planning
- Data-driven decision making
- Automation and AI marketing tools
- Best practices for social media, content, and influencer marketing
Hacking Marketing by Scott Brinker
Scott Brinker offers forward-thinking ideas on marketing in the technology age in Hacking Marketing. Readers learn to adopt an agile, iterative campaign approach and leverage data and new technologies for innovative marketing. This book provides valuable insight into modern marketing in the digital era.
- Agile marketing strategies and frameworks
- Using analytics and metrics effectively
- Marketing technology landscape and tools
- Growth hacking and conversion optimization
This is Marketing by Seth Godin
This is one of the must-read books on marketing. Seth Godin is a renowned author and speaker on marketing. In This is Marketing, Godin shares unconventional wisdom focused on the psychology behind effective marketing. He advocates for authentic brand stories and human connections instead of ads and spam.
- Building trust and permission with audiences
- The importance of telling truthful stories
- Marketing to people, not demographics
- Creating and sharing work worth talking about
Always Eat Left Handed by Roam Consulting
Roam Consulting, a growth strategy group, uses colorful stories and frameworks to convey counterintuitive marketing ideas in Always Eat Left Handed. The book encourages marketers to go against the grain and provides thought-provoking strategies for differentiation.
- Strategies for differentiation
- Using surprise, humor, and emotions
- Thinking from alternative perspectives
- Critical look at conventional marketing wisdom
Contagious by Jonah Berger
Jonah Berger, a marketing professor at Wharton, offers science-backed techniques for creating buzz and getting people to share content. Contagious analyzes case studies and research to explain why certain products, messages, and ideas catch on.
- Psychological drivers of virality
- Word-of-mouth and social epidemic principles
- STEPPS framework for contagious content
- Actionable tips for driving sharing and diffusion
Traction by Gabriel Weinberg and Justin Mares
This is one of the top 10 marketing books of all time. Startup founders Gabriel Weinberg and Justin Mares explain a data-driven framework for getting traction and growth in new ventures. Traction provides 19 channels entrepreneurs can test for acquiring and retaining customers. The examples and advice provide an excellent playbook for startups.
Key channels covered:
- Viral marketing
- Public relations
- Social media marketing
- SEO and content marketing
- Paid advertising
Hooked by Nir Eyal
Nir Eyal breaks down the psychology behind habits and addictive products to teach how to create user habits. Hooked explains the Hook Model for driving habitual user engagement and retention with products and services.
- The four phases of the Hook Model
- Creating triggers and rewards
- Variables that drive habitual behavior
- Techniques for product stickiness
Obviously Awesome by April Dunford
Obviously Awesome offers a strategic positioning toolkit for startups seeking product-market fit. Author April Dunford shares positioning advice for building competitive advantage, winning trust, and communicating value.
- Positioning fundamentals
- Using positioning to guide strategy
- Workshop tools and templates
- Tips for messaging and branding
The Mars Café series by Michael Houlihan and Bonnie Harvey
Michael Houlihan and Bonnie Harvey draw from their experience growing Barefoot Wine into an international brand to provide fun fiction books sharing branding and marketing advice. The Mars Café series imparts business lessons engaging in storytelling with memorable characters.
- Brand development strategies
- PR and event marketing tactics
- Sales and distribution best practices
- Importance of company culture
In conclusion, marketing is a dynamic field that requires continuous learning and development. While strategies and tactics may change, foundational marketing principles and understanding human psychology remain important.
Reading influential and best digital marketing books from thought leaders gives marketers new perspectives, actionable frameworks, and insights that can elevate their marketing efforts.
The best books on marketing and branding highlighted in this article offer valuable lessons for building brands, driving growth, and resonating with modern consumers through storytelling, positioning, and customer experience optimization.
By studying these texts, marketing professionals can sharpen their skills and continue to evolve and innovate as the industry changes. Investing time in marketing education through impactful books pays dividends in keeping skills current and progressing your career.
1. What are the 5 main things in marketing?
The 5 main things in marketing are: product, price, promotion, place, people.
2. What is the most powerful marketing?
The most powerful marketing is storytelling which builds an emotional connection.
3. What is the best book for online marketing?
The best book for online marketing is Traction by Gabriel Weinberg and Justin Mares.
4. Who is the father of marketing?
The father of modern marketing is Philip Kotler.
5. Who is a successful marketer?
A successful marketer can blend art and science to grow businesses.